RE: Motivation For Overtime?

Subject: RE: Motivation For Overtime?
From: barry -dot- kieffer -at- exgate -dot- tek -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:02:54 -0700

Greetings Anthony,

For me it is a personal thing.

If I create a documentation plan that states I will get X done in X time for
X dollars, plus being as stubborn as I am; if I say I can do it, by gosh, I
will do it. (And somehow, I always do.)

On the other hand, if some other slug creates a doc plan and says: "Boy, you
gotta get this done before high noon tomorrow!" all bets are off. Unless, of
course, the slug really knows his or her business.

Where I used to work (a sweat shop) my boss Francis (a male, not that it
matters) used to come to me at 4:30 on Thursday and say stupid things like:
"I promised the boss that you would get this done by Monday."

Which would result in me saying stupid things like: "I have to recharge my
mothers pacemaker over the weekend." or "I will be in unless something comes
up" (like the sun).

Most professional people I know (like myself) get things done as a matter of
personal pride. I want to be able to say "I got it done". As stupid as it
sounds, money is secondary.

I know plenty of people, that when given a task or job, the first words out
of their mouths is: "Is overtime available?". That crap is not for me.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Barry "I never received overtime pay" Kieffer