Re: Mentors needed (long)

Subject: Re: Mentors needed (long)
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: write-it -at- home -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:24:10 PDT

Susan Loundermilk asks:

First, any tips you could give me as a teacher, such as what types of
introduction to technical writing do you wish you had, or what types of things did you do in school that have helped you most in your job.

Tony Markatos responds:

I create documentation for complex business systems. To me it is very clear that the major goal of a Technical Writer is to gain a rigorous understanding of the essential tasks that must be performed by end user(s) and/or computer(s) and how all of those tasks interrelate. Gaining this understanding is very difficult work; the writer must be very focused on this goal!

Yes there are many other things that need to be done to deliver effective documentation. But it is extremely important to focus on the main thing, (and properly position all of the other things relative to it).

There are no books that state what I just have. Too bad, if I were a student, I would what to know what it "really" takes to succeed.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)