Re: Motivation For Overtime?

Subject: Re: Motivation For Overtime?
From: "Doyle, Lindsay" <lindsay -dot- doyle -at- funb -dot- com>
To: "'TechWriter List'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:39:37 -0400

First Union Capital Markets Corp.

Steven J. Owens wrote:
"The root issue is whether the employer respects the employee."

To which I respond, "Right On!". I have been in situations where the perks
were terrific but there wasn't a modicum of respect. I don't have a problem
putting in overtime; especially because in this line of work I expect to
have last minute changes that must be included in the documentation. I must
say, though, it really irritates me when the worker bees are staying until
the wee hours of the morning to meet a deadline and the manager(s) are
walking out the door at 4:30. In cases such as that, I sacrificed the perks
to maintain my sanity and restore my sense of self-worth as an employee.

In addition, when working long hours to meet a deadline, I am not motivated
by a company-provided night out, comp time, or other "reward" for my hard
work (although it is wonderful when that happens) - I simply want a "Thank
you" and acknowledgment of the hard work.

Lindsay Randolph Doyle
First Union Capital Markets
Y2k Project Office
(704) 593-7439 phone
(704) 593-7006 fax
lindsay -dot- doyle -at- capmark -dot- funb -dot- com <lindsay -dot- doyle -at- capmark -dot- funb -dot- com>