Re: Respect (was Motivation For Overtime?)

Subject: Re: Respect (was Motivation For Overtime?)
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- netcom -dot- com>
To: tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:38:26 -0700 (PDT)

Anthony Markatos writes:

> Steven said:
> I find a lot in common between his question and this question of
> motivation for unpaid overtime..... The root issue is whether the
> employer respects the employee.
>
> Tony Markatos responds:
> I agree with you, but what is respect? Free beer and pizza? Flex hours?
> The latest PC computer to do my work on? A caring parental figure boss?
> Stock options?

That was the point of my post; respect is respect. The rest of
those "perks" are simply symptoms of respect (or cynical attempts to
emulate respect). Or rather, the lack of those things, as
appropriate, can be seen as a symptom of a lack of respect. In and of
themselves, they do not prove or disprove respect, and hence they are
not sufficient to motivate people. Look beyond the superficial to the
root of the issue.

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com