RE: Word to PDF vs. Frame to PDF

Subject: RE: Word to PDF vs. Frame to PDF
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'Karen Field'" <kfield -at- STELLCOM -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:18:02 -0400

Hallo:

FrameMaker is easier to use and better supported with PDF. FrameMaker has
more flexibility over what can be converted to hypertext in PDF. For
example, in FM, by putting a text box over a part of a graphic and inserting
a hypertext goto, you can create hotspots in your graphics that get
converted in PDF. Paragraph styles you choose, such as headings, are
converted to bookmarks. FrameMaker hypertext and cross-references are also
converted to hypertext in PDF.

If using Word97, look into downloading PDFMaker 1.0 from adobe.com. PDFMaker
adds some of the PDF functions enjoyed by FrameMaker. However, PDFMaker has
limitations. For example, I believe there is a max number of bookmarked
headers . . .. You will need to use Adobe Distiller in conjunction with
PDFMaker to get the most out of Word (just as you use Distiller with
FrameMaker).

If PDF is desired output, FrameMaker is better set up for it than Word97.
However, stability and productivity in general are the best reasons for
dumping your favorite word processor in favor of FrameMaker. FrameMaker does
not suffer master doc woes, autonumbering woes, template style issues,
graphics anchoring problems . . .. Keep your eye out for whitepapers about
this.

All the best.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com