building user-defined customized documentation

Subject: building user-defined customized documentation
From: Roy Jacobsen <rjacobse -at- GreatPlains -dot- com>
To: "'winhlp-l'" <WINHLP-L -at- ADMIN -dot- HUMBERC -dot- ON -dot- CA>, "'techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:34:24 -0500

A co-worker asked me to send this inquiry to both WINHLP-L and TECHWR-L.

Thanks,
Roy M. Jacobsen
Documentation Supervisor
Great Plains
1701 38th Street Southwest
Fargo, ND 58103
USA

"Hey Dad?"
"Yeah?"
"Is there people on other planets?"
"I don't know Sparks, but I guess I'd say that, if it's just us, it
seems like an awful waste of space..."
--------------------

Hi all:

My boss had a great question the other day. When he was planning a trip to
Norway, he ran across the Fodors Web Site http://www.fodors.com/ptpbegin.cgi
where he could build his own customized travel guide and print it out. He
filled out a series of questions on what he was interested in, and the site
built a customer book that he could print out. It contained all the
information he requested.

Is this something that could be done with online documentation? Is anyone
doing it? For example, a user fills out a survey and builds his or her own
custom documentation based on their role (we have a large, enterprise-wide
documentation set), what tasks they're working, and maybe their experience
level. Has anyone discussed this type of role-based software?

Most importantly, is this something that could be done using HTMLHelp? Other
tools?

Cheers,

Julie Deutz
Internet documentation/Global Development
Great Plains Software
218-236-8970
701-281-3740