Motivation For Overtime?

Subject: Motivation For Overtime?
From: William Swallow <WSWALLOW -at- commsoft -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:58:49 -0400

I know I'm replying quite late...

Love of company and fear of the unknown are good motivational factors, as
are stock options, flex-time and that green cloth-paper stuff we sometimes
get to play with on the weekends.

HOWEVER...

I was SHOCKED to see not one PRIDE IN MY WORK reply. Shame on all of you!!!
;-)

Question for all salaried Technical Writers:

How are you motivated to work overtime?

I seek responses for career planning purposes. All responses appreciated.

My observations prompting the above question:

In many of the software development organizations that I have been exposed
to (especially smaller companies), salaried staff puts in much more than 40
hours per week.

The way I see it, there are but two things that motivate individuals at work

a lot of (free) overtime:

1.) Love of God, country, and company.

2.) Fear. Either fear resulting from 'threats' from the boss or fear that
if Tom is working X hours a day and Mary is working X hours a day, I had
better put in X hours a day, or else I will 'look' bad.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)

Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
Aptis Software Corporation
a subsidiary of Billing Concepts
phone: 518.433.7698
fax: 518.433.7680
<mailto:william -dot- swallow -at- aptissoftware -dot- com>
<http://www.aptissoftware.com>