re: transitive verbs (was Do alarms always sound?)

Subject: re: transitive verbs (was Do alarms always sound?)
From: "baotong.gu.1" <gubaoton -at- purdue -dot- edu>
To: infinity <infinity -at- yourhead -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:00:00 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, infinity wrote:

> But, I have one other point of clarification that I wanted to email
> in. That is... in the example that was given:
>
> You can configure an alarm to trigger.
>
> The verb isn't trigger, rather it is configure. "To trigger" (I think)
> would be a prepositional phrase. Yes? So is that particular construction
> gramatically incorrect? And if so, is it for a different reason?

Christi,

You were right. The main verb of the sentence is "configure." However, "to
trigger" here is not a prepositional phrase; rather, it's an infinitive,
used as object complement. As you pointed out, "trigger" is a transitive
verb. It should be followed by an object. So your revised version "You can
configure the software to trigger the alarm" solves that problem.

Best!

Baotong Gu
Assistant Professor of English 509-359-6036
Co-Director of Technical Communication bgu -at- mail -dot- ewu -dot- edu
Eastern Washington University gubaoton -at- purdue -dot- edu
Cheney, WA 99004