Re: Contractor vs Consultant

Subject: Re: Contractor vs Consultant
From: "Sergej Rinc" <info -at- sinonim -dot- si>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:40:09 +0200

> From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:56:54 PDT
>
> 1. What is the difference between an independent contractor and an
> independent consultant?

Find a perfect answer (lacking independent prefix) in this article:
http://www.windowsnt-advantage.com/adv-1999-08/adv-08-enterprise_1_p.html
"A contractor or a consultant -- How to decide"

> 2. What is a subcontractor?

An individual or a company who gets assigned by a contractor (not by a
company who has - usually outsourced - a project to be done by a contractor)
to do part(s) of a project for which a contractor doesn't have an interest
in, technical knowledge, experience etc. Well, that's my understanding about
this question.

> 3. Are all independents 1099rs (i.e., can an independent recieve W2s)?

Sorry, I don't understand the question (too much States jargon?).

> 4. Can an independent work through an agency?
Why not? But one would have to define independency in this case.
> If so, how can such an individual be labled 'independent'?
Yes, what would it mean? That he can works on projects not by agency
standards etc? I guess it just mean that he is an independent but has an
agency umbrella for tasks which would otherwise have to be done by himself
(contract, pay, estimates, ...).

> 5. Can a non-independent contractor work directly for the client (not
> through an agency?

Hmm, if the agency allows this. I don't think this is smart for it, though
..

Sergej Rinc, Doc-To-Help Certified Trainer
Tehnical Director, Sinonim d.o.o.
Member, International Webmasters Association http://iwanet.org
Prekorje 49, 3211 Skofja vas, Slovenia, faks/BBS +386 63 411 448
mailto:info -at- sinonim -dot- si, http://www.sinonim.si/index.html