RE: Multiple checkouts with FrameMaker?

Subject: RE: Multiple checkouts with FrameMaker?
From: Brent L Jones <bjones -at- VersatileSoftware -dot- com>
To: "'Beth Kane'" <BethKane -at- TCISolutions -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:01:54 -0600

Beth Kane wrote on 27 September 1999 15:41:

> I don't see much need to use a version control system with
> FrameMaker files.
> Simply storing all Frame files on a server, and insisting
> everyone work from
> the server, keeps two people from modifying the same file at
> once. This
> setup lets everyone work on different chapters, while
> preventing overlapping
> edits in the same file. It let us get our work done really
> fast at this one
> company where I worked, where project timelines were short.
>
> I'm not clear on why folks are concerned with saving every
> little historic
> modification that was ever made to a book file. It's not like
> this is code.
> It's not crucial to product operation; it's just phrasing.

[deletia]

While in general I would agree with you, in some situations a finer level of
version control and change management is very useful and even necessary. If
you want to single-source your docs and apply them against a cross-section
of applications and functionality (such as when you have a core product with
different customizations for different clients), then a finer level of
granularity than "chapter" is a must.

cheers,
brent
--