RE: Numbering steps -- & appendices

Subject: RE: Numbering steps -- & appendices
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "'Beth Kane'" <BethKane -at- TCISolutions -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:01:55 -0400

Beth:

Absolutely. And if a book has only one chapter,
it's just called "Chapter." No, wait. If it only
has one chapter, then you don't present it as a
chapter at all. Yeah, that's right. And so if it
only has one appendix, then, by extension, you
shouldn't present that material as an appendix at
all, just tack it on to the back of the body
material. Or as a preface to the index.

NO! WAIT! The chapters are meant to be read as an
ordered sequence, so they MUST be numbered in the
correct order. But the appendices can be read
randomly, so NONE of them should have numbers or
letters indicating sequence. They should probably
just have different dingbats as bullets.

Damn! The more I think about it, the less I know
about writing.

Sorry.

Bear