Re: Who dreams up these things?

Subject: Re: Who dreams up these things?
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "jane" <judydh -at- total -dot- net>, "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:44:12 -0500

I'm afraid that all this discussion about "process" has obscured the dual
nature of that word. "Process" is a way of doing documentation, such as the
Clustar Method or Kepner-Tregoe. "Process" is also a sequence of steps that
should be taken to produce documentation. This second kind of process is
spelled out in the masterwork on the subject, JoAnn Hackos' "Managing Your
Documentation Projects". If you fully absorb that book, it will reduce your
time out the door by at least 10 percent, even in bad conditions.

If your organization is a level 1 or 2, don't expect to get much sympathy
for instituting processes or procedures. If you're a level 3 person in such
an organization, move on. You'll be frustrated and frustrate everyone around
you if you don't go.

You'll know a level 1 company by its utter lack of regard for regularity. No
processes. No intention of sticking to any. No commitment to them. No
generally accepted quality standards. No long-term plans. A level 1 is
frequently living in two-month increments. No strategy that's worth talking
about.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar Method(TM)
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
http://www.simplywritten.com