Re: Who dreams up these things?

Subject: Re: Who dreams up these things?
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:13:53 -0400

On 09/28/1999 3:21 PM, Anthony Markatos (tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com) wrote:

> <snip> It is to create clear, concise, end-user-focused
>documentation.
>
>Creating such documentation is difficult. It is very difficult (if not
>impossible) when the design staff does not follow a disciplined process.

Not really true, although "disciplined process" is open to all kinds of
interpretation. It is possible for most individuals among us to create
clear, concise, end-user-focused documentation without any formalized
process, by dint of experience, skill, determination, and lots o' hard
work. I've even done it once or twice.

My experience is that the larger a doc. organization is, the more people
call for formalized processes, probably because a single writer can keep
the process in her head and modify it on the fly without confusing anyone
else, while a team has to communicate these things among its members.

The way I've always seen it, formalized processes are seldom absolutely
necessary for writers to produce quality work. Managers really like to
formalize processes to make their jobs easier, and to encourage
consistency.

----->Mike

P.S. Did the previous poster really XXXXX out the word "frickin'", as if
it were a naughty word? Heck, we could start a whole discussion off-list
about whether a substitute for a dirty word is, in fact, a dirty word in
and of itself, gosh darn it.

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman