Programmer/Writer?

Subject: Programmer/Writer?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:49:40 PDT

Questions for all listserv members:

I have noticed an increase in job listings for combination Programmer/(Technical) Writers. As I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong), these individuals write end user documentation directly off of code.

What is the demand for such people? Is this some sort of major new trend? Can you recommend any good written materials on this?

I have a real concern about this. I had a job where I had to create end user documentation directly off of code. The reason was that the interface was so complex (i.e., poorly designed) that I had to tear apart the code to figure out what the thing did! If this is what these Programmer/Writer jobs are all about, this a real step backwards. Comments?

All responses appreciated.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)