Re: Easter Egg Recognition

Subject: Re: Easter Egg Recognition
From: brian -dot- day -at- conexant -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:46:54 -0700

If it feels weird... don't do it.... er, something like that. Microsoft and many
PC game companies do this type of thing. Its probably due to being in a creative
environment.

Its best that you fall inline with your company policy and practices. My guess
is that there isn't one for this situation. Having pride in your work is
commendable, however, if you feel that it could cause even the most remote
chance of embarrassing your company's reputation, don't do it.

If you still feel inclined about doing this....
Create a blind link/jump (invisible) on a period or space within the help topic
to a secondary window that contains programming and writing credits. Do not
index the topic. Only you and the others that you tell will know where the jump
is. There is a very small chance that an end user will find the Easter egg. More
than likely, if they are in the help system, they are too busy trying to figure
out how to make the application work.

Enjoy

Brian

Barbara Stuhlemmer <barbara -at- group -dot- com> on 09/29/99 12:16:33 PM

Please respond to Barbara Stuhlemmer <barbara -at- group -dot- com>

To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
cc: (bcc: Brian P Day/USA/Conexant)
Subject: Easter Egg Recognition

I have been approached to have the product of my endeavours recognised through
an Easter Egg in the software. I'd never heard this term before, but
apparently it is quite popular with software programmers. They program a
certain key combination into the software to have information on the developer
come up. In this case, it will show in the help file ('cause that's what I's
did).

I am not sure how the company feels about this, the programmer has not asked
their permission. I don't want to ask anyone else, for fear of reprimand
against the programmer who is doing this (if the company disapproves). I have
no intention of giving my information if I don't have approval from at least my
supervisor, but I don't want to just say no without finding out how other
people feel about this. I may change my mind about approaching my supervisor if
it seems like a common industry practice.

Has anyone else done this before? Is this an acceptable industry practice or
is it generally frowned upon.

I am not used to getting any recognition (outside my department) for the
products I produce. It feels weird.

Barbara Stuhlemmer
Technical Writer, The Software Group Ltd.
(barbara -at- group -dot- com)

Moving your documentation online? We can help with standards, planning,
or training. Visit us at http://www.weisner.com or mailto:info -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Help University is proud to sponsor TECHWR-L.
Register online now for Help '99, and receive a special TECHWR-L discount:
http://www.helpuniversity.com/conferen/fall99techwl.htm
---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: brian -dot- day -at- CONEXANT -dot- COM
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot-