Easter eggs - "The Other Thing"

Subject: Easter eggs - "The Other Thing"
From: "Kathi Jan Knill" <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- template -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:17:22 -0400

Some of you may recall that > Garrett (forgot his last name, sorry) asked
us to ponder...: > > > ...do we need recognition?>> My pondering has led
me to this:

I have had my name linked with two books that I wrote and I had two
different responses...

The first was a customized version of our Training Guide. One
morning I was at my desk working (I'm an early bird so it was around 7:30)
and I got a call from the customer. He immediately started yelling at me
about heaven only knows what. I did not even know who he was, much less why
he was upset. I ended up placating him and getting off the phone with my
ear still working.

But seriously, this is one of the reasons why it may seem better to not
have our names linked with our books. And now for my next experience....

I wrote a book about a product that was extremely confusing and difficult
to install and use. Long story short, the book &the online help (which btw
STC gave me an award for) was on target and I was widely recognized in the
company as an expert in this product. Some of the Systems Engineers thanked
me for writing a book that really helped them to do their
job. And Developers were happy too because they got fewer fire drill calls.

The question of whether we should be recognized depends on who we want to
recognize us. In my situations, having the people outside the company
recognize me was bad, but having people in the company recognize me was
good. It just boils down to each situation is different. I don't think it
is a black and white question.

And btw Garret, the call from the irate customer did not get me to write a
better manual. I already always do the best that I can and I imagine
(hope) everyone on this list does as well.

Just me pondering as Garret asked us to....

Kathi Jan Knill
Senior Technical Writer
Template Software, Inc.
Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Template -dot- com
"Life is a banquet, and most
poor suckers are starving to death" (Auntie Mame)