Education

Subject: Education
From: Nora Guy <novagun -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 10:28:03 -0700

Good morning all,

This is my first posting to the list, so I apologize if my question seems a
bit "under" most of the topics covered here.

I am a student still pursuing my undergrad degree in Tech Writing, and am
looking for a bit of guidance. For the past few months, I've been looking
up job descriptions on DICE, Monster.com, STC and other places... and
almost all the companies looking for writers require a Bachelors degree or
higher. There are a few, though, that will look at someone with less than
a four year degree.

The university I am planning to attend offers a certificate as well as a
Bachelors with a number of concentrations in "Technical and Professional
Writing". Another local university offers a Professional Sequence I can
complete prior to graduation. I am almost finished with an introductory
class through their extension, and the program seems very good.

I already have an Associate degree and three years of full-time work
experience (as a recruiter for a software company; I have some insight as
to what hiring managers look for). I don't want to quit my current job or
go part-time, so it will take me about three or four more years to finish
school. However, I would *love* to get some experience while I'm still
taking classes.

So, if I have the option of getting a certificate first, then a degree,
should I go for it? Also, who should I approach about getting some
hands-on experience? Everyone I work with knows I'm in school, but we have
no documentation department (it's all done by an outside firm).

Thanks in advance!
Nora