RE: Reasons not to use the Courier font

Subject: RE: Reasons not to use the Courier font
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 15:50:33 -0400

The thing that irks me most about fonts is that
any inexperienced bonehead who has used Word or
Paint thinks that the choice of typeface is a
simple matter of personal taste.

Unless your clients have taken the trouble to
learn a little about publishing, they will know
nothing (and believe nothing) about the
readability issues involved in typeface selection.

The larger problem behind this is that I was once
(and still am to some extent) an uneducated
bonehead, using my meager smidgin of publication
design knowledge to bolster my self-esteem and
infuriate myself about the ill-deserved power my
clients and employers wield over me.

The best thing to do is to get a job in forestry,
carpentry, or learn some useful handicraft and get
OUT of technical writing.

Bear