RE: bold the colon?

Subject: RE: bold the colon?
From: "Brad" <kiwi -at- best -dot- com>
To: "Chuck" <writer -at- best -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:54:51 -0700

> Subject: bold the colon?
>

> In reference documentation, documenting the various UI elements
> on screen, I
> create lists such as
> Widget1: Widget1 description.
> Widget2: Widget2 description.
> Widget3: Widget3 description.
> and so on......
>
> I apply bold to "Widget1" and "Widget2." Should I apply bold to
> the colon as
> well?

If a colon is included in the GUI, then I would bold them along with the
field label. Some GUIs have a form-like metaphor where they might have
colons with field names. In that case, I would bold the colon to reflect the
GUI.

If the field names or labels do not include colons, then I would not bold
them.

I would make definition list with n-dashes (or if in HTML, then a regular
dash):
Widget1 - definition
Widget2 - definition
Widget3 - definition