directory and path syntax query

Subject: directory and path syntax query
From: "Weiner, Kandis" <kweiner -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca>
To: "'techwrl'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:42:49 -0400

Greetings Dudes!

The question of appropriate syntax for files and directories has arisen and
I am wondering what conventions people are using (and what your references
are).

Here's the problem:

I want to talk about a particular directory (which is relative to a program
directory): \ProgramX\bin

What is the appropriate syntax for referring to this directory in a
technical document:

c:\Program Files\Company\ProgramX\bin

\ProgramX\bin

.\ProgramX\bin

I have my opinion, but I can't seem to find any direct corroboration.

Tapping into the distributed brain of the techwr-l community...
Kandis Weiner.
Technical Communicator - Positron Public Safety Systems
http://www.positron911.com
mailto:kweiner -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca