Re: Squashed egos... it ain't pretty!

Subject: Re: Squashed egos... it ain't pretty!
From: Philip Sharman <psharman -at- verity -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 09:40:46 -0600

At least you were recognized publicly, which is more than
some people ever get. My personal bete noire at work, a
project manager who seriously needs a clue (if not several),
recently publicly thanked two temp employees for the work
they've done on a training CD we're developing... and
completely ignored the SME who's spent hundreds of hours
on the research, me for spending days to turn that research
into something readable, and our graphic artist for laboring
far into the night to provide the illustrations.

I've found I can sometimes can deal with that sort of thing by sending out my own thank-you. I once worked for a fairly clueless manager, and found it helpful to send out my own email thanking members of the team and pointing out all the work they had done. It doesn't give you a chance to blow your own horn (directly) but it does provide a nice way to point out all the things that went on besides "beautifying" the document. And your team members will sure appreciate you for it. Besides, to be fair, managers often don't know the amount of extra work that has gone into a project and who did what.

I wish I had done more of it. There was one fellow, in another department, who was incredibly helpful once, and I never publicly thanked him for it. I still feel bad about that.

Regards,
Philip Sharman