Searching PDFs on a Web site

Subject: Searching PDFs on a Web site
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:28:42 -0700

Good afternoon,

Today's conundrum goes like this:

We have a grown number of technical bulletins on our external Web site.
These technical bulletins are in a variety of subjects in PDF format.
Currently, they're in one big long page (they're at
http://www.mps.com/supportlink/spt-bulletins.html) and, in an ideal world, I
like to provide the user with a search field on a Web page which would allow
them to perform a full text search through all of the PDF files. They might
type "Report Manager" and the site would return all of the PDF files that
contain "Report Manager" in them. I know this is possible, but I'm wondering
if anybody knows of any shortcuts that don't involve a bunch of custom
coding? Has anybody encountered this particular circumstance before?

Another alternative, which I haven't explored as of yet. Would be to somehow
(either ahead of time or on the fly) have the PDFs concatenate themselves
into one big PDF, and then users could do a search that way. That's not a
particularly elegant solution, though.

I know that the easiest but quite intensive solution would be to convert the
Word files used to generate the PDFs into HTML, and then include the PDF as
a printable version. That, sadly, would be cause for both a lot of work up
front and more maintenance down the road. Any thoughts or suggestions are
welcome. Thanks. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Meridian Project Systems
Technical Content Developer
604-904-0822 ext. 112
dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com
www.mps.com

Meridian News!
Now shipping! Prolog WebSite 2.0. See the latest eBusiness solution
Meridian Project Systems has to offer. AEC professionals now have the means
and power to conduct business-to-business transactions so they can increase
project accountability and control while reducing construction time by
eliminating paper-based communication. For more information, visit our
website at www.mps.com or call 800-850-2660.