Fwd: Re: Experience required for contracting / Staying current

Subject: Fwd: Re: Experience required for contracting / Staying current
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:25:00 PDT

According to the most recent STC independent contractor salary survey, the most frequent task performed by such is editing. However, I recently conversed with numerous independents who belong to this listserv and the majority said that they perform the same tasks as "regular" Technical Writers albeit to a higher level of sophistication.

Some said that they primarily edit; however, others said that they
perform end user task analysis (I still do not understand how this can be done without spending a bunch of time on-site), organize manuals, and create original content.

A couple stated keys to success:

* Have long-term clients whose products you become intimately familiar with through numerous assignments.

* Charge enough. Not only to cover medical, retirement, social security,and office expenses; but non-billable time. While employee writers work 2000 hours a year (not considering overtime), contractors typically bill between 1000 and 1500 hours.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)