OT? TW Job Descriptions and Audience Analysis

Subject: OT? TW Job Descriptions and Audience Analysis
From: Pamela Nelson <pamnelson -at- dttus -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: 15 Oct 1999 15:05:28 -0500

Hi,

Sorry for the somewnat OT post, but I need some help. I am preparing a
report for the local Board of Education. A school board member asked
me for ways to improve the (high school) students'
language/communications skills.

As part of this report, I need to describe what a tech writer does. I
have searched the archives without success. I prefer to have input
from other tech writers, because I have only been in the field for 13
months. I am guessing it would be best to contact me off list, rather
than start a firestorm of differing opinions.

Also, can I have a sampling of the types of documentation you produce
and your intended audience's reading level. (Is 5th grade considered
to be the lowest common denominator?)

One point I intend to discuss is that the high schools should set high
standards for the students, and work with the grade schools to ensure
that students enter high school with the best skills possible.

Any comments appreciated.

TIA,

Pamela Nelson
Associate Training Technical Writer