Error management in documentation

Subject: Error management in documentation
From: "Josee C. Morel" <jcmorel -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 08:15:11 GMT

I was curious to know how error management is handled by others.

I am trying to develop a way to track or organize two different things:
* Errors found in documentation after it has been printed
* Product evolutions before a new version is released

Once the doc is delivered you can't change typos with a pencil in every printed manual so what can you do? Do you keep a error log internally and then produce errata sheets? Do you keep a binder with errors scribbled in it? Do you cover your own copy with post-its?

After a commercial release of a product, developers keep working away at the next version of the product. How do you keep track of evolutions that affect your documentation? Do you combine these changes with your errata sheets?

Please respond off the list and directly to me. I will post a summary. Any examples would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Everyone is process-obsessed at my company!

Josée Morel
Newly Renamed: Process Writer (arghhhhhh!!!)