Re: Error management in documentation

Subject: Re: Error management in documentation
From: "Michele Marques" <mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:45:24 -0400

"Josee C. Morel" <jcmorel -at- hotmail -dot- com> writes

> I was curious to know how error management is handled by others.

He talks about two issues: (1) keeping track of errors (and possibly
versions of documentation and (2) distributing fixes to customers.

I am fortunate in that we have a mechanism in place for our main
product for customers to get software and documentation updates
digitally. I distribute paper documentation three-hole-punched in
binders, so clients can update the printed copy easily, if they
choose (some choose for only the electronic/on-line documentation
to be updated).

All documents include a revision number, so that clients (and
support staff!) can easily find out if the client has the current
version of any document.

- Michele

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing Systems
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280