Graphics Packages

Subject: Graphics Packages
From: Mpschiesl -at- ra -dot- rockwell -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:15:55 -0500

I've been meaning to ask this for a long time. I am hoping to build
my library of graphics software over the next year, and I would like
to get some comments and recommendations (or warnings) on
what you've been using.

[FYI, I use my graphics packages for web graphics, cartoons, photo
editing, special effects, graphic designs, logos, backgrounds, technical
illustrations, and some basic animation (not making major motion pictures).]

Here are some of the packages that I have been using, and what
I think of them:

Photoshop - Excellent set of tools for artwork, photo editing, and
special effects. Now with animation tools. : )

Illustrator - Has a lot of nice designing tools, pdf, a little clumsy and not
as compatible or versatile as it should be with other Adobe products.

Paint Shop Pro - nice for the price (<$100), includes animation stuff,
sometimes results are not too professional-looking.

Visio - very comfortable for illustration and line art, good import/export,
reusable stencils, limitations on colors/special effects. Good for beginners.

AutoCAD LT - very helpful for precision drawings, needs help on
import/export.

CorelDraw - can't remember

MicroGrafx Designer - can't remember

How about Microsoft PhotoDraw? other Adobe graphics products?
Macromedia Fireworks? Any other 'secret goldmine' products?

I appreciate your feedback. : )

Michael Schiesl
Rockwell Automation Product Documentation