Re: A modest suggestion

Subject: Re: A modest suggestion
From: Janet_Swisher -at- trilogy -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:40:40 -0500

David Neeley wrote:

>In many cases they must pay a rate per
>thousand characters.

>Also, there are those who archive messages themselves
>with bookmarks at the most applicable spots for future
>reference.

>To both categories of users, it seems to me helpful
>NOT to quote entire previous posts. Please consider a
>fast editing job, just quoting those most cogent few
>lines that provide the predicate of your own post.

Let me also add that gratuitous quoting of previous messages is annoying
to those of us who read this list in digest form, as we have to scroll
through the useless material to get to the next message. I would hope
that technical writers would (a) include only relevent information in
their messages, and (b) know their tools well enough to be able to turn
off automatic quoting.

Janet Swisher
Trilogy Software, Inc.