Re: Help system for Java application

Subject: Re: Help system for Java application
From: Jeff Fitzgerald <fitzgera -at- universal -dot- ca>
To: Debbie Pesach <debbie_pesach -at- attune-networks -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:47:51 -0400

debbie:

At 10:20 AM 10/20/99 +0200, Debbie Pesach wrote:

>One person has advised that my best bets are WebHelp (a generated format
>which you can only create using RoboHelp HTML Edition) or JavaHelp (a
>customizable format which requires users to install the JavaHelp browser
>classes and JRE on their computers). Do you agree?

if its a java-based application, the user will already have the jre
installed. if they didn't, they couldn't run the application. as for the
java help classes, those are easily included in your application's jar file.

>Another has listed disadvantages of JavaHelp (considering it not ready
>yet for commercial applications): Do you agree?
>- It takes Lon.......g time to upload (that's the reason why the Java
>logo is a cup of coffee. You have to take a long cup)

so will the application, so your user probably won't notice :).

>- There are problems with bullets and numbering

this one depends on the java runtime environment they are using. i had
problems with the jre 1.2.1, but when i upgraded to 1.2.2, the problem was
fixed. the problem isn't with the java help per se, its with the virtual
machine you are running.

hope this helps. . .

Jeff Fitzgerald, B.A., M.A.
Tech Writer, Universal Systems Ltd.
E-mail: fitzgera -at- universal -dot- ca

"I does good words."