Fwd: Re: Boldface

Subject: Fwd: Re: Boldface
From: Marv Cochrane <cochrane -at- tsufl -dot- edu>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:42:44 -0500

Lurker delurks to comment.

>We are currently discussing whether there is any advantage, in procedures,
>to bolding the names of control elements within the software (e.g., dialog
>box names or text box & button labels). We know plenty of companies do
>this, but is it worthwhile?

Don't do it. Well, actually, it depends. If you wind up with a lot of bolds,
the page is ugly, and you have all of these raisin-bread spots calling for
attention. It's like a room full of two year olds. Look at some
documentation that does not use bolding, italics, special fonts, or any
other special treatment of control elements. If you're like me, you will
find that you have no trouble following the instructions. And you can save
your special treatments for items that should grab the reader's attention.

Marv Cochrane, who wrote software documentation in a previous life.