RE: Newbie Blues (Telecommuting)

Subject: RE: Newbie Blues (Telecommuting)
From: "Thiessen, Christopher E" <Christopher -dot- E -dot- Thiessen -at- ceridian -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 18:16:50 -0400

In every circumstance I must agree with Eric. I've telecommuted
for the past four+ years, my corporate office being in Atlanta and
my residence in Kentucky and now Virginia. The requirements for
technical and work-related problem solving, as well as project
management and people management, when coupled with the
simple requirements of getting the work done are not hallmarks of
a newbie technical writer. Additionally, most corporations are hard
sells on the idea of telecommuting (although it is more
economical in the long run) and most managers are very wary
of having an employee they only see infrequently. This situation
would compound itself with a new writer. I know this first-hand:
I used to be one of those managers, and I had to undergo a
a lot of personal growth to prepare myself for the remoteness in
telecommuting. I'm lucky to be working for a
corporation that allows me to telecommute, but I know it was
not something I could have done even in the first ten years
of my career.

So, I'd suggest you simply slug it out in the cubicles. Sorry.

Chris Thiessen
Ceridian Employer Services