RE: Your opinion needed re: Best Tech. Writing Programs

Subject: RE: Your opinion needed re: Best Tech. Writing Programs
From: Nicolette Srivastava <nicolette -dot- srivastava -at- htcinc -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:40:46 +0530

Bill Hartzer said "Tools and techniques are easy to
pick up; it's getting to know your subject that's more difficult."

I have to add that one of the things that I find the most frustrating as a manager are Technical Writers who can't write, which in my opinion, is the first and foremost skill a Tech Writer needs.

After that, an aptitude for technical things (i.e. whatever they're going to write about) is helpful. Tools can be pretty easily taught on the job if necessary; techniques can also be learned on the job if there are more senior Tech Writers in the company (which is not always the case, especially here in India).

I personally have an engineering degree but always liked to write. I picked up the tools and practices on the job and through lists like this one.

Nicolette Srivastava
Manager, Technical Documentation
mailto:nicolette -dot- srivastava -at- htcinc -dot- com
http://www.htcinc.com