What would you call this?

Subject: What would you call this?
From: Angela Hill <ahill -at- wwg -dot- com>
To: "Twlist (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:12:16 -0800

I'm writing a user's guide and online help for a Windows application. On
the left of the application window there are seven buttons, each of which
corresponds to a "major functional area". At the bottom of the application
window are several tabs. The names and functions of the available tabs
changes depending on which major functional area is active. At any given
time, the user can see one tab of one major functional area (no more). The
"tabs" aren't standard Windows tabs so I hesitate to refer to them that way;
they just look kind of like tabs.

My question: what do I call these? I've just been using "area" and "tab"
temporarily. I can't think of an application that has exactly the same
structure so I can't compare it to anything directly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Angela

Angela Hill