How to decide which font to use for website

Subject: How to decide which font to use for website
From: "Michelle Vina-Baltsas" <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- us -dot- crawco -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:48:37 -0500

Hi TW's,

I'm working on a web design steering committee to revamp our corporate website.
Question... I've read that for online viewing (online help, websites, etc.)
san-sarif fonts are recommended. Anyone know if there is any documentation
anywhere that confirms this? Also, I believe I know the answer to this, but I
have to ask anyway... does the font that you choose for your website have to be
installed on the users workstation for it display properly? If I'm not
mistaken, if the font is not installed on the users workstation, the
workstation will substitute the closest font it can find, right?

TIA,
Michelle