RE: Internet capitalization

Subject: RE: Internet capitalization
From: Asa Bradley <asa -at- wwg -dot- com>
To: "'Sonja McShane'" <sonja -at- ekorp -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:19:19 -0800

Hi Sonja,

I think you should keep your capitalization's since they are sometimes used
to mean two different things.

This is straight from the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical
Publications, second edition 1998:

"The tern the Internet (capitalized) refers to the worldwide collection of
networks that use the TCP/IP protocols to communicate with each other. The
Internet offers a number of tools, including e-mail, the World Wide Web, and
other communication services."

"The term internet (lowercase) refers to any large network made up of a
number of smaller networks. In general, avoid use of the lowercase term or
define it so that it's not confused with the Internet."

"An intranet (lowercase) is a communications network based on the same
technology as the World Wide Web that's available only to certain people,
such as the employees of a company."

"For more information, see the Microsoft Press Computer Dictionary."

Hope this helps.

-Asa