TechComm Portfolio

Subject: TechComm Portfolio
From: William Swallow <WSWALLOW -at- commsoft -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:15:08 -0500

How many titles do we have out there today? [ducking] ;-)

I label myself as a technical writer. I write, I design, I code, I create
markup, I edit, I test, I train, I ramble, I piss people off, I get paid.

Don't spend too much time dressing up your tasks. I can't speak for others
(not that I'm a hiring manager) but when I review resumes I overlook the
titles and task titles and dig right into what these people did over the
years. If a resume is infected with buzzwords, I tend to think that perhaps
this person is experimenting in creative writing in order to get the job.

Let your experience, portfolio and references speak for you. When they get
the initial job done and you get that face-to-face interview, strut your
stuff but be genuine. I don't think I'm the only person out there who has
enjoyed setting traps in an interview.

Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
Aptis Inc.
a subsidiary of Billing Concepts
phone: 518.433.7698
fax: 518.433.7680
<mailto:william -dot- swallow -at- aptissoftware -dot- com>
<http://www.aptissoftware.com>

"...painting murals with metaphors..."