Re: how to write click

Subject: Re: how to write click
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:18:35 -0800

Just to stir the pot - I was teaching FrameMaker and had 10 students. Most
of them were tech writers and described themselves as fairly competent with
computers. One student had an awful time following the text book for
homework and thought his copy of frame must be broken. Turns out that when
the instructions said Press ALT+F4, he knew to press the ALT key, the + key
and the F4 key. needless to say, he wasn't not getting the results he
wanted. I explained to him that it meant he should press and hold the ALT
key and then press the F4 key. He did fine after that.

Not an exhaustive survey, but it does make me leery of using pipes, arrows,
or other symbols when the words work fine. On the ... menu, click ... very
straightforward and clear.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org
Anthrobytes Consulting
www.anthrobytes.com
Check out www.WinHelp.net!