RE: peanut butter and jelly - revisited

Subject: RE: peanut butter and jelly - revisited
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:20:25 -0800

At 09:38 AM 11/10/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>When I originaly introduced the PB&J example, it was
>to a simple request from someone on the list...I have
>a presentation to a bunch of engineers and I'd like a
>fun, imaginative way of describing what a tech writer
>does.

Actually it's a great idea.

However, the first time I was ever introduced to the PB&J exercise was
during a *programming* lesson in elementary school. We were learning LOGO,
and before trying to teach 9-year-olds how to program, she wanted to make
sure we understood flow charts and giving detailed instructions.

Show your programmers or engineers that tech writing is actually a lot like
programming. You have to tell the audience distinct, easy-to-understand
steps in a particular format, or they will not understand. Just like a
computer won't understand. Just as you can't just toss out random,
non-order ideas to a computer, you cannot slap down anything in a manual
and expect it to work.

Tech writing is very much like programming, if you think about it. But,
just keep it to yourself. We don't want a weird argument over that simple
observation on my part.

-Katie
Technical Writer (Intern)
Cisco Systems