Re: Bogus IP address for screen shot

Subject: Re: Bogus IP address for screen shot
From: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:21:10 -0500

Melissa Kucbel-Saumier wrote:

> Are there reserved IP addresses that will not point to any specific
> computer? I need to replace internal IP addresses with bogus ones,
> but I don't want to guess a number that will indeed represent someone
> else's computer... Do I have to use 1.1.1.1 (looks a bit fake)? Is
> there an equivalent to the 555 phone numbers for IP addresses?

RFC 1918 reserves some addresses:

10.anything
172.x.whatever 16 <= x <= 31
192.168.x.whatever 0 <= x <= 255

for use on private networks, invisible from the Internet. You can have
all the machines you like using those addresses on your own network,
but you're required to ensure those addresses are never used outside
your net. Firewall must translate them or something. Most routers
automatically discard any packet whose to or from address is on any
of those networks.

RFC = Request for Comments. They include Internet standards, "best
practices" advice, etc. http://www.ietf.org

You could also use 127.anything which is reserved for connecting to
your own machine.