Re: Midol Moment or National Tragedy? You decide...

Subject: Re: Midol Moment or National Tragedy? You decide...
From: JohnMethod -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:10:27 EST

Mark Baker wrote:

<< Bad English grammar is any view of the structure of the English language
which cannot explain constructions that actual English speakers use to
communicate effectively. >>

I am not sure that dog will hunt. Evidence:

Parents tell a babysitter, "Read to our little daughter at bed time," and
leave for the evening. The little girl obediently goes upstairs when told by
the sitter, cautioning, "I don't want "Little Wed Widing Hood" 'cuz mommy wed
it to me last night."

Sure enough, the sitter forgets and shortly hears, "Weed to me! Weed to me!",
picks up a book, and goes upstairs. The book, of course, is "Little Red
Riding Hood". The exasperated little girl cries out, "What did you bring that
book that I didn't want to be read....
.. o u t o f t o u p h e r e f o r ? "

hmmmmmmmm

John G. Boland