Hiring a Writer with little experience

Subject: Hiring a Writer with little experience
From: "Ahuja, Rasil K Ms IMCEN/RCI" <Rasil -dot- Ahuja -at- hqda -dot- army -dot- mil>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:52:41 -0500

Hello, all.

I work for a government contractor and recently submitted my resignation.
Needless to say, I am very excited about my new position.

However, in a recent conversation with the PM at this site, I was shown the
resume of a possible replacement......well, a likely replacement. This
candidate is a recent journalism grad with a little over one year of
professional experience writing reports, developing PowerPoint
presentations, writing "technical manual," etc. Although the resume states
the current title is Analyst/Technical Writer, I am somewhat doubtful
because there is little technical writing mentioned.

I am concerned about how this "newbie" will do in an environment where no
engineer takes an interest in documentation. When I began my career over
three years ago, I was fortunate to work closely with an engineer who made
it his mission to ensure that I understood the technology. There is no one
here who will take such an interest.

The question is: how much of an interest should I take in the hiring of my
replacement?

TIA,
-Rasil