RE: Famous Technical Writers - A Compilation

Subject: RE: Famous Technical Writers - A Compilation
From: "krupp, marguerite" <krupp_marguerite -at- emc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:17:55 -0500

Josee Mariann Proulx wrote:

>Are we talking about scientific writers or technical writers?

>Do you make a difference or not?

>My understanding of a famous technical writer is someone who describes the
>processes of a given technology, not necessarily scientific processes....
>Do you differentiate technical and scientific processes? Should we/could we

>separate them?

Although I know some people would differentiate between scientific and
technical writing, I think the distinction is artificial. As a tech writer,
I describe concepts and uses, for example, as well as processes for a
specific technology. I also write technical articles in various fields, so
my definition of "tech writer" tends to be more inclusive than exclusive.
Technology is "applied science." But I recognize that this is just my
opinion. As always, YMMV.

Marguerite