Re: Famous Technical Writers - A Compilation

Subject: Re: Famous Technical Writers - A Compilation
From: "Tom Murrell" <tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "krupp, marguerite" <krupp_marguerite -at- emc -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:33:43 -0500

> Although I know some people would differentiate between scientific and
> technical writing, I think the distinction is artificial. As a tech writer,
> I describe concepts and uses, for example, as well as processes for a
> specific technology. I also write technical articles in various fields, so
> my definition of "tech writer" tends to be more inclusive than exclusive.
> Technology is "applied science." But I recognize that this is just my
> opinion. As always, YMMV.
>
> Marguerite

I agree wholeheartedly with the above sentiment. In fact, I'll go it one
better. I think any competent writer can be a technical writer. Some will
have to learn a lot more technical stuff than others, but in my opinion
(humility will have to be judged by others) a competent writer does not need
to know much of anything. A competent writer learns what is needed to
communicate to an audience.

Believe me when I say that I have talked to more than a few writers about
this belief and few agree with me. (Sometimes I love being right in the
minority.) <G>

By the way, my short definition of a Technical Writer is "A writer who gets
paid actual money."

Tom Murrell