Re: somewhat OT: question about UK

Subject: Re: somewhat OT: question about UK
From: John_F_Renish -at- notes -dot- seagate -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:22:59 -0800

Lora Matzner

<snip>
was asked to send my "C.V." What is that? . . . they asked me to include wh/not
I'm planning on making this a permanent move. I've understood that potential
employers cannot ask such questions. Is this a law in the UK? (Would it still
apply to me if I continue working for my current American company...just *in*
the UK?)
</snip>

As others have noted, the CV is similar to a resume. I've written a number of
them for fellow expatriates when we worked in a third country. The CV is
generally longer and more detailed than a US resume, usually going back to grade
school or at least high school and including just about all the working life
experience. CVs commonly contain information that American employers are
forbidden by law to ask, such as marital status, number of children, even
religious affiliation. UK employers might view with suspicion reticence on these
matters, but you could possibly defuse that by explaining in the cover letter US
practice and offering to expand the CV in any area the hiring manager thinks
germane to the position.

hth,
John_F_Renish -at- notes -dot- seagate -dot- com, San Jose, California, USA
My comments represent my personal views and not those of my employer.
"A gentleman never unintentionally gives offense."
--John Paul Jones