SUMMARY: Bogus IP address

Subject: SUMMARY: Bogus IP address
From: Melissa Kucbel-Saumier <melissaks -at- eicon -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:59:12 -0500

This is a summary of the more than 15 responses I got about what bogus
IP address could be used in technical documentation. Here are the
suggestions:

The following addresses are reserved for private networks and will be
invisible from the Internet:

10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

Also suggested:
255.255.255.255
111.222.333.1
1.555.12.12 (anyone see a pattern here?)
127.0.0.1 (points to your own computer)
a.b.c.d
xx.xx.xx.xx

For more information, I also got a nice collection of new links:

RFC 1918 Address Allocation for Private Internets
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1918.txt

Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
http://www.iana.org

Internet RFC/STD/FYI/BCP Archives
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs

To see if an IP address belongs to anyone:
http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois/

Many thanks to all who responded (and promptly too!).

Mélissa Kucbel-Saumier
Technical writer
Eicon Technology Corporation
Montreal, Quebec, Canada