RE: Team Building

Subject: RE: Team Building
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:27:43 -0700

> What is your opinion of such activities for bring a team
> together? Will it really help the tw's, qa people, developers, etc bond
into > a more effective team?

Yuck! I hate those things. They're humiliating and disrespectful of those of
us who do not like touchy-feely stuff (especially with coworkers), and--I
can't pretty this up--they're STUPID. YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

I have a theory that these sort of activities tend to appeal to the same
people who are drawn toward working in HR, which would explain their immense
popularity.

But me, I've been walking out of activities like this since grade school.
And just as in grade school, people come up to me afterward and say, "I wish
I'd walked out, too. I hate those things."

> Can anyone recommend something?

Well, yes, as a matter of fact.

This comes from www.cluetrain.org. If you REALLY have to do some
"team-building" exercise, volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, go clean old
peoples' gutters, pick up litter along the road, or work in a soup kitchen.

It gets people out and working together toward a common goal, it serves a
good purpose, and it doesn't involve trying to pass a ball around with your
butt.

Lisa.