Re: Team Building

Subject: Re: Team Building
From: Wrdfinesse -at- aol -dot- com
To: CBamber -at- castek -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 20:30:46 EST

Candace asks about the value of those team-bonding-adventure
outings.

<flame-retardant everything donned>

Based on my experience over nearly 20 years in The Biz, run,
do not walk, away from any group that believes this will help
develop trust and a team ethic. These types of activities
are a very unfortunate holdover from a touchy-feely time in
corporate America that promoted the belief that if we all just
feel good about one another we'd develop quality products
on time and under budget. Balderdash, I say!

You want a team comprised of people that trust one another?
Start with a sound business rationale for the product you're
building, follow with decent staffing/resource plans and a
realistic schedule, and build the team you want based on
peoples' skills and experience and interests and work ethics.

Sorry, kids, this just hit me WAY the wrong way. Be gentle
when flaming, though ... I've had a cold and I'm jest a bit
tetchy ... <g>

Regards,

Anne Halsey
wrdfinesse -at- aol -dot- com