RE: Caught between tech writing and marketing

Subject: RE: Caught between tech writing and marketing
From: melonie -dot- mcmichael -at- amd -dot- com
To: Emily_Cotlier -at- cardlink -dot- co -dot- nz, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:07:00 -0600

Howdy,

Been there, done that. Luckily, I'm not doing it now. Once
I had it down, though, it wasn't too bad.

You were not clear on what kind of problems this was causing you.
I can only tell you my experience which was having two managers
battle over my time and abilities.

Balance, boundaries and MYOB are the keys (yes, this does sound
like a counseling session, that is because personalities tend to be
the problem). The first thing I figured out: when the engineering manager
complains about the way the marketing manager is doing something (or vice
versa) tell them to go tell the other manager. That was a hard lesson: I got
caught in a couple of battles.

Anytime you balance two entities, it requires some finesse. I am getting
to relearn this since I just picked up a second product line. Each group is
afraid that I will let their work fall by the wayside. It takes a sprinkling
of
"children, you have to share" with "don't worry, we will do whatever it
takes
to get your work done".

Setting priorities is a requirement in this situation. How does the top 5
projects
in group A mesh with the top 5 projects in group B? A note on this: I have
discovered that it is better to work a little on group A's projects and then
little on group B's. That way, you can tell them you are making progress
when
they ask about the project. They tend to have a fit when they hear their
project
is waiting on completion of the other group's project.

The hardest task of all: putting down the fun stuff to do the important
stuff. I love
the marketing stuff and can get lost in it for ages, but often the technical
stuff
has usually has a higher priority.

Good luck and have fun!!

Melonie McMichael