search engines for online docs

Subject: search engines for online docs
From: "Kevin McGowan" <mcgowan -at- loran -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:03:13 -0500

Hi whirlers

I'm looking for recommendations! Currently, my team is using FrameMaker 5.5
and WebWorks 2000 to generate our paper and HTML documentation.

In the new year, we want to give our HTML docs a search capability. Now, WWP
offers their own WebWorks Help format, which includes a search engine. I
have researched and found several people that don't really like the way WWP
works. I have tried it myself (a little bit), but have not yet discovered
its full potential.

Keeping in mind that I am totally green on the search engine topic, could
anyone suggest a particular software that we might be able to integrate with
our HTML documents?

Please respond to me personally, I will send a summary.

Thanks a lot!
Kevin