Re: Writing samples, post-interview

Subject: Re: Writing samples, post-interview
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:42:28 -0500

On 11/23/99 11:03 AM, Frederique Courard-Hauri (fch -at- fchcomm -dot- com) wrote:

>but what about the non-disclosure agreements many of us have to sign
> before starting to work (either permanent or contract)

Although I'm sure they exist, I've never signed a non-disclosure
agreement that didn't have a cancellation clause along the lines of "this
non-disclosure is null and void once the company releases the restricted
material to the public," or words to that effect.

If you can't show a recent writing sample because the product hasn't been
released yet, go back and find one that has. It shouldn't be too hard
after the first two or three projects, unless you're doing gov't or other
work that is never going to be disclosed.

>I pass these samples to the interviewer(s) during the interview, and
>invite them to take a look at them there & then. I always take
>them back when they are finished with them. This way, they can get an
>idea for the style and quality of the pieces, but since I'm not letting
>them pore over them in detail, I feel I am not breaking any NDAs.

If you're still non-disclosed on a project, showing the samples at an
interview is a violation, whether you leave them or snatch them back at
the end. Heck, the mere existence of the documents could reveal secret
product development that a competitor would love to know about.

I would recommend that, for anything posted on the web, you should both
point to it *and* bring some brief printed samples of it, to avoid
inconveniencing the interviewer. That's just being courteous.

Hope this is helpful in some way,
----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman